One word. . . .SAVORY. . .this bread is comforting and made with freshly ground barley flour. Perfect with soup and perfect as a crust for pizza. Barley is said to be good for you heart. If you add thyme, you will love it all the more.
- 2 cups barley flour (freshly milled)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbl. Sucanat (organic, natural sugar)
- 2 tsp. Rumford baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 cup almond milk or diluted coconut milk
- 2 tbl. Extra virgin organic olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl stir the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder together.
- Add milk and oil. Stir until all the flour is moistened and a smooth, stiff dough has formed. If dough is very stiff and all the flour isn’t moistened, add more milk (or water), one tablespoon at a time until a cohesive dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a stone. With the back of a spoon, form the dough into a 1/2 inch thick, 8 inch diameter loaf.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until loaf is browned.
- Cut into wedges and serve while warm. Makes one 8 inchround loaf.
- Try this bread plain, as a soft-crust pizza OR add thyme (1 tsp) and this is the best soup bread ever!