Love ginger? This spicy cake is one more of our family favorites. We’ve been eating this recipe for many years and it’s always a welcome addition in the fall months. Top it with some fresh whipped cream and relish every bite!
- Preheat oven to 350
- 3/4 cup milk (you could also use water)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 Tbl. organic salt free butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I use 2 tsp.)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (freshly milled)
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 3 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom(I omit this because I usually don’t have it on hand)
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Cloves
- To make the glaze:
- In a small sauce pan warm:
- 2 Tbl. organic salt free butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Pour the glaze in a 9×13 in. cake pan then add batter.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Mix all ingredients in one large mixing bowl.
- I usually make a 2nd batch of the maple/butter glaze to put on top when the cake is finished.
- This cake is wonderful topped with homemade whipped cream!