We made this bread by hand for a holiday dinner. Lovely mini loaves instead of large loaves and the bread was heavenly! Leftover bread was eaten over the next two days as breakfast toast with butter.
- Mix the following:
- 2 c. milk (warmed so your yeast will activate)
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/3c. olive oil
- with 2 1/4 c. wheat berries, freshly milled into flour
- add 1 egg and mix well
- Add: 2 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 c. whole rolled oats
- Mix thoroughly and let sit for 15 minutes until bubbly.
- Add: 1 Tbsp. sea salt, heaping
- add 3 1/2 more cups of flour
- Mix/Knead for about 5 minutes
- Add: 1/2 c. chopped walnuts/pecans
- Divide into 3 loaves & shape. Add milk soaked whole oats to the top & rise. (approximately 1/2 cup of oats to 1/4 cup milk)
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.
- Brush with warm honey and cool.
Submitted by Lindy H.