We make this cake at least 1 time each year. Organic whip cream icing paired with fresh bananas and mandarin oranges along with a date cake mixture. Love to know if you like this cake best the first day or second.
Two healthy sisters from a health oriented family made this delicious concoction. They like to call it “Deep Dark Secret Cake” (From the Kitchen of Two Sisters: A Satisfying, New Approach to Slimness, Vitality, and Health).
- 3 cups chopped organic medjool dates, pitted (or chopped date pieces)
- 1 cup honey (might sub maple syrup. . sometimes honey can be a little strong)
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts – chopped
- 4 pastured/free range eggs
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour (golden wheat, pastry wheat or spelt flour) Freshly milled
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 3-4 ripe organic bananas, sliced
- 1-2 (11 ounce) cans of mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 pint organic whipping cream – whipped and sweetened with honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well.
- Spread this mixture into an oiled 9 * 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- One hour before serving, break up half of the cake into bite-size pieces and put them on a cake platter. The cake will probably be a bit gooey.
- Cover with the sliced bananas and the mandarin oranges.
- Break up the other half of the cake and lay it on top of the fruit mound.
- Cover this mound with the undrained pineapple.
- Finally, “ice” with whipped cream, and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Chill, serve and enjoy!